Tuesday 30 October 2012

A Trip To The Zoo.

We recently took a drive up to Southampton for a day out at Marwell Wildlife Park for my cousin's daughter's 3rd birthday.

It was nice chilly day (I say nice as it is quite a walk around the whole park so wouldn't have been as much fun if it was baking hot) so we got wrapped up in our woollens and coats, which always makes a day out seem more fun to me! I just love this time of year.

The park were great, they gave a reduced entry fee to my disabled Uncle and free entry to my Aunt as his carer and also offered use of a wheelchair for a £10 returnable deposit which really helped him to enjoy the day.

The younger kids had a fantastic day, being so close to animals they had only seen before in books and on TV was really quite fascinating for them. Mine, being six now, really enjoyed reading all the information given about the animals and telling me 'I ALREADY KNEW THAT!!' about the ones she has already learnt about at school and we got to see the giraffes being fed which they all absolutely loved.

Unfortunately there were a lot of empty enclosures on the day so a bit of time was spent looking for animals which weren't actually there!

The gift shop at Marwell (always my favourite part of a day out!) is really quite spectacular. It's HUGE and has a great range of posters, all the usual gift shop souvenirs (stationary, magnets etc) some great toys, lots of educational books, sweets and a face-painter  I have an ever-growing magnet collection (I know, right? How cool am I?) so G picked one out, along with a postcard for school, a small monkey (she loves monkeys as we've always said she looks like one. Bit cruel?) and got her face painted.

All in all a great value, good fun day out for all the family. Just be prepared for achy legs the next day if you're anything like me and your daily exercise is the walk up the stairs to bed at night, as like I say, it is really quite a long walk round!


2 comments:

  1. Love Marwell Zoo, I haven't benefit years. You have just reminded me all about it. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good fun isn't it! We hadn't been for years either xx

      Delete