Tuesday 23 October 2012

My own take on Carbonara.

Now I LOVE a Carbonara. But fancied giving it a bit more flavour and slimming it down a bit so here's my virtually fat-free version. Bit of an odd combo but everyone who I have cooked it for has been very complimentary. And that includes my Mum who doesn't do polite so I know she meant it!

Great for kids too, it's my daughter's favourite and it's very quick to make.

Ingredients -

250g dried pasta (and type really, I usually just use penne)
1 red or green pepper
12 cherry tomatoes
5 rashers of trimmed bacon (I usually just buy medallions to save time but if not just ensure all visible fat is cut off)
200g mushrooms
Garlic (as much as you like really, I use ALOT, like 4 cloves or 2 tbsp if I'm using the lazy stuff)
Fry Light One Cal cooking oil.

Sauce-
100g Quark (skimmed milk cream cheese)
1 egg yolk
Salt and pepper

Method to the madness -

While the pasta is cooking, chop up the pepper and shallow fry over a medium heat in fry light, chop the mushrooms however you like them and add them next. These 2 take the longest to cook in the fry light so best to start with them. Then slice your bacon and chuck that in too then finally half your tomatoes and add them.

Now if you're using fresh garlic I'd chop and add that now.

Turn down to a low heat and mix all the sauce ingredients in a large pan. Also take a couple of tbsp's of the pasta water and add to loosen the quark. If using lazy garlic add that now.

Finally when all your ingredients are cooked (about 10 minutes from start to finish usually) add them all in to the pan of sauce, with the pasta and mix it all together and serve!

Serves 4, I'd usually do it with a bit of chopped salad or broccoli.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment